1. The basics of kicking
The basics of kicking form the foundation for all kicking techniques. Always refer back to these basic points if having issues or problems – these hold the key to success. To become an elite kick, these steps below must be perfected.
- The Grip – spread the fingers of your guiding hand – "load the gun"
- Look, search and set the feet quickly – Find your teammate (consider their speed and your opponent’s position)
- Carry the ball in the channel and build momentum towards your target (keep the ball over your kicking leg)
- Look down at the sweet spot and hit the red dot on the Sherrin
- Kick the Sherrin - Point your toe and connect with the top of your foot
- Only look up now – check the yellow spin line and flight of the ball
- Your body weight must move forward and follow through towards the target.
It is important to re-visit these steps if a player is experiencing difficulty at any kicking progression phase.
Note: When we refer to the plant foot, we talking about the foot planted on the ground at the kicking point. (the opposite foot to the kicking foot)